Dysport® vs. BOTOX®. How Do They Differ?
In the fight against facial aging, there are few products more popular and effective than injectable wrinkle relaxers. If you’re like most people, you may be most familiar with BOTOX for smoothing out wrinkles, but it is certainly not the only option. Another injectable product, Dysport, offers similar results. So, which one is right for you? At Body+Beauty Lab in Philadelphia, PA, our knowledgeable and experienced team of cosmetic injectors can help determine which injectable product – or combination of treatments – will be most appropriate for your specific concerns and goals. Use this helpful information to gain a better understanding of the differences between Dysport and Botox, what they do, and what results may be possible for you.
What injectable do I need for wrinkles and lines?
With a seemingly endless list of injectable products available today, it can be confusing trying to understand which treatment you actually need. The two main families of cosmetic injectables are dermal fillers, including JUVÉDERM®, and wrinkle relaxers, such as BOTOX and Dysport. While dermal fillers are used to restore lost volume and fill in deep lines and facial folds, injectable wrinkle relaxers work to smooth out dynamic lines and wrinkles that are caused by repetitive facial expressions over time. Common signs of aging that can be dramatically improved with BOTOX and/or Dysport wrinkle relaxers include:
- Forehead lines and wrinkles
- Lines between eyebrows (11 lines)
- Glabellar lines
- Crow’s feet
- Wrinkles around eyes
- Lines around mouth
Oftentimes, a combination of injectable dermal fillers and wrinkle relaxers is used to treat both static and dynamic lines and wrinkles, as well as volume loss, for a more complete transformation and striking result.
Is BOTOX or Dysport better?
BOTOX is undoubtedly the most widely recognized injectable wrinkle relaxer used today, though Dysport is increasing in popularity each year. With similar compositions, many patients wonder what the differences are between BOTOX and Dysport and, of course, which is the “better” product. Some of the most notable similarities and differences between BOTOX and Dysport include:
- Uses: Both BOTOX and Dysport can be used to treat the same age-related concerns, including forehead lines, glabellar lines, Crow’s feet, and more.
- Composition: Both BOTOX and Dysport contain botulinum toxin, which binds to the neuroreceptors to temporarily “freeze” or relax the muscle, smoothing out surface lines and wrinkles.
- Longevity of results: Results can vary from person to person based on the location and severity of their concerns, how their body responds to the injections, how much product is injected, and other factors. On average, however, both BOTOX and Dysport last up to 3 – 6 months before a repeat treatment is needed.
- Onset of results: One way in which the two products differ is how long it takes BOTOX vs. Dysport results to appear. The effects of BOTOX typically take about 5 – 7 days to become fully apparent, while Dysport often produces noticeable results in as little as 2 – 5 days. Again, this can vary somewhat from patient to patient.
- Migration of product: Another difference between BOTOX and Dysport is that Dysport is known, in some cases, to spread over a larger treatment area when injected, compared to BOTOX. This can work to the patient’s advantage when he or she is looking to get the most coverage out of their treatment, though it may cause unwanted side effects if it spreads further than expected. This is a rare but possible complication that can typically be avoided when treatment is performed by a highly experienced and certified Dysport injector.
The decision between BOTOX and Dysport is ultimately up to you, but you don’t have to make it alone! During your initial consultation for Dysport or BOTOX in Philadelphia, our expert providers will thoroughly examine your areas of concerns, discuss your desired outcome, and help determine whether BOTOX, Dysport, or another injectable product is the best option for you.
Get the smooth, fresh, youthful look you’ve been wanting with BOTOX or Dysport in Philadelphia, PA
Whether you are just looking to spot treat your forehead lines and Crow’s feet or need a dramatic facial rejuvenation, we can help! To learn more about the exciting possibilities of cosmetic injectables in Philadelphia, PA, call Body+Beauty Lab to schedule your private consultation with one of our licensed, certified, and experienced medical injectors today!